Helping a loved one research Medicare, Medicare Advantage, and our Special Needs Plans? It can be difficult to know where to start. Don’t get overwhelmed. We’re here to help.
Enrolling in Medicare begins with open and honest communication and knowing the right questions to ask. It’s also important to bring in other family members and friends who can be part of the process.
Here are some tips that will get you started and guide you as you help your loved one make an informed decision about their care.
1. Find out if the person is eligible for Medicare. The federal government’s Medicare Eligibility Tool is a good place to start.
2. Learn the basics about Medicare.
3. Compare the following details for the Medicare Advantage plans you are considering.
- What is covered, and what is not?
- What benefits and perks are included?
- What doctors can the person visit?
- How much is the copayment, deductible for different services, and monthly premium?
4. Determine prescription drug needs.
- Find out which prescription drugs the person takes, how often the drugs are taken, and the dosage.
- Check to make sure the plan offers Medicare Part D prescription drug coverage.
- Make sure the person doesn’t already have prescription drug coverage through a former employer or other health insurance plan. Otherwise, he or she may automatically lose that other coverage.
5. Call us if you have any questions. Our team is happy to help answer any questions that come up along the way. Feel free to give us a call at 855-242-4870 from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., seven days a week. TTY users should call 855-250-5604.